Frequently Asked Questions

Your employer is required to be a participating employer in the fund if it is an employer in the Private Security Sector. The employer is required to register you as a member of the Fund when you become an employee of the employer.

When your company changes its name, it does not alter the status of the company nor does it affect your status as a member of the fund. The fund will continue to hold your fund credit as per your personal identity details, which it held under the company’s previous name. Your contributions will continue to be paid by the company, just under a different name.

When you are dismissed from employment, you are generally entitled to the payment of a withdrawal benefit as a cash lump sum, alternatively you may in writing elect to become a dormant member or transfer your fund credit to an approved pension or provident fund, approved pension or provident preservation fund or approved retirement annuity fund.

However, should you not make an election within 6 months of leaving service, you would be deemed to have elected a cash lump sum benefit. This is subject to the proviso that, when the fund is able to effect transfer/make payment of the benefit, and you are still an employee of an employer in the private security sector, then the benefit will not be transferred or paid to you but will be retained and will be merged with your new record.

You may however, not be entitled to the payment of your benefit in instances where a section 37D deduction is allowed in terms of the Pension Funds Act where, for example, you have caused damage to the employer by reason of theft, fraud, dishonesty or misconduct in respect of which you have admitted liability to the employer in writing or where judgment has been granted against you by a court of law.

The fund may also withhold the payment of a benefit in instances where an employer has instituted civil proceedings or where criminal proceedings have been instituted against you in respect of the above instances.

When you resign from employment, you are generally entitled to the payment of a cash withdrawal benefit, transfer of your benefit, or you may elect to become a dormant member, except in instances outlined above.

Your employer should notify the fund that you have become totally and permanently disabled. Satisfactory medical evidence must be given to the fund showing that you have become totally and permanently incapable of doing your own job (engaging in your own occupation) or in any other occupation for which you could be reasonably considered capable of engaging by virtue of your training and general experience, in the trustees’ opinion.

You must note that the claim must be notified to the trustees and/or the administrators in writing no later than 6 months after the last day on which you were at work attending to all your normal duties.

The relevant documents and/or particulars required by the trustees and/or the administrator must be submitted within 12 months after the last day on which you were at work attending to all your normal duties.

The trustees have the right to call for medical evidence to their satisfaction.

Should you have a pre-existing condition and you are disabled within 12 months of becoming a member, by reason of that injury or illness in respect of which you sought medical advice or you knew or could reasonably have been expected to know about, 6 months before the date on which you became a member, your disability claim will be repudiated

Should the disability application be successful, in addition to your fund credit you may be entitled to a disability benefit of 3.25 times your annual fund salary subject to the maximum capital disability benefit. If you become disabled during the 10 (ten) years prior to normal retirement date, the benefit will decrease in accordance with the following table, depending on the number of years prior to normal retirement date:

Years prior to normal retirement date

Percentage reduction

9 10%
8 20%
7 30%
6 40%
5 50%
4 60%
3 70%
2 80%
1 90%

A disability benefit shall not be payable after you have reached the normal retirement date of 65 years of age.

You may contact the fund’s administrator, Salt Employee Benefits or enquire at any of the Fund’s regional offices to confirm that the employer makes contributions on your behalf. It will also be reflected in your benefit statement that you should receive once a year.

The death benefit payable upon a member’s death in service is 3¼ (three and a quarter) times annual fund salary plus his/her fund credit.

When you become aware of your employer not making provident fund deductions from your salary and further not making payments to the Fund, you must alert the Fund at the regional offices of this breach. You may also lodge a complaint with the Office of the Pension Funds Adjudicator. You may further open a criminal case of theft against the employer with SAPS.

You may ask your employer for a copy of your latest benefit statement. You may also retrieve your statement by logging into the benefit Counsellor Member App.

Your benefit is taxed in terms of our laws, more specifically in terms of the Income Tax Act.